Frequently Asked Questions

Most commonly asked benefit questions:

When is the Annual Enrollment period?

The Annual Enrollment period begins in November and ends in December of each year. Any changes made to your benefits during this time become effective on January 1 of the following year. Premium changes will be reflected on the first pay of the year.

Can I add or drop dependents from my health plan during the plan year?

If you have a "change in status , you may add or drop the dependent affected by the change to or from your health, dental, or vision plan within 30 days of the change. Otherwise, you may not add or drop dependents except during Annual Enrollment.

What are the different types of "changes in status" and how do they impact my benefits?

Federal regulations define situations called "changes in status that allow employee and retirees to change their benefit elections during a plan year within 30 days of the change. "Changes in status are:

    • Employee's marriage, divorce or death of employee's spouse
    • Birth, adoption or death of a dependent child
    • Child becoming ineligible due to age
    • Change in employee's, spouse's or dependent's status that changes eligibility
    • Child support order
    • Becoming ineligible due to Medicare or Medicaid
    • Significant employer-initiated or carrier-initiated changes in or cancellation of coverage

How do I change my beneficiary?

Beneficiary information may be updated any time of the year by completing the proper forms provided in Human Resources.

I will be getting married/divorced soon. What do I need to do to change my name on my records and/or add/drop dependent(s) for my benefits?

Contact Human Resources to make an appointment to fill out appropriate paperwork to update your personnel and payroll records information. Benefit enrollment forms must be completed within 30 days of your change in status. You may also want to update your beneficiaries at this time. You will need to apply for and obtain a new social security card reflecting your new name then forward a copy to Human Resources when it is received.

Do I have to use network doctors?

The City's medical, dental and vision benefit programs utilize networks of doctors. If you go out-of-network, your out-of-pocket and deductibles may be higher unless you have been pre-authorized.

How do I find the networks associated with my medical, dental and vision benefits?

You may go on-line at the following sites:

Medical: Advantage

Dental: Prudential

Vision: Davis Vision Enter Client Code: 4937
What is a Primary Care Physician (PCP) and what is a Specialty Care Physician (SCP)?

Under the Advantage Care Medical Plan, a Primary Care Physician (PCP) is a general or family practitioner or an internal medicine doctor. All other doctors under these plans are considered specialists (SCP). Co-payments differ from a PCP to a SCP. Your PCP directs your care and must be notified before going to the Urgent Care or Emergency Room unless you have a life threating emergency.

How will I know if my prescription will be filled with a brand-name or a generic medication?

Generic alternatives will be dispensed by the pharmacist whenever available and legally permitted, unless your physician specifically indicates on the prescription "dispense as written." The generic version of a drug has the same chemical compound as its brand-name counterpart. The use of generic drugs offers a simple and safe alternative to help reduce your prescription drug costs.

Most commonly asked employment questions:

What is the difference between an exempt employee and a non-exempt employee?

Exempt status is based on the employee's actual job duties and responsibilities. An employee who is exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act does not have to be paid overtime when he/she works more than 40 hours in a work week. Employees in non-exempt positions will be paid their wage rate at time and a half of the regular hourly rate or they will receive compensatory time at one and one-half rate for hours worked over forty (40 hours) in a regular work week.

Does the City offer compensatory/flex time and do they have a maximum amount?

Yes. Non-exempt civilian employees may accumulate up to 40 hours of compensatory time off then any hours worked in excess of the 40 hour limit will be paid in overtime wages. Once the employee has accrued a balance of 40 hours of compensatory time off, the employee shall not accrue any additional compensatory time off until the balance is reduced below 40 hours. Exempt employees may accumulate 24 hours of flex time and will not accrue any further flex time until the balance is reduced below 24. Exempt employees may take no more than 8 hours flex time per work week.

Who is the contact to verify employment?

Telephone employment verifications will be verified by Human Resources and only the dates of employment, job titles and employment status (full-time/part-time) will be disclosed. If an employee's salary is to be verified, the request must be in writing, signed by the employee and submitted to the Clerk-Treasurer's office.

Most commonly asked labor relations questions:

What is FMLA leave?

The Family Medical Leave Act of 1993 requires employers to grant up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave to employees for the care or placement of a child (birth, placement, or foster care); the care of an employee's spouse, son, daughter, or parent who has a serious health condition; for a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform his or her job. The FMLA also provides for 12 to 26 weeks of unpaid leave for military families. To be eligible, you must have been employed for at least one year and have worked for 1250 hours over the past 12 months.

The City requires you use your available annual leave or sick leave during a period of FMLA leave. At the end of the FMLA leave, you have the right to be restored to your original position or a position with equal employment terms, pay and benefits.

What is the difference between Family Illness leave provided in the Policy and Procedures Manual and Family Medical Leave Act?

Both allow you to take a leave with proper documentation to care for a family member's serious illness. Family Illness allows leave for 3 days. The Federal Medical Leave Act allows leave up to 12 weeks in a 12 month period with job protection.

What do I do when I'm hurt on the job?

If it is a medical emergency dial 911, report the injury to your supervisor and go to the emergency room. At the earliest opportunity, you must fill out a Worker's Compensation Report and First Injury Report. If it is not a medical emergency, you should report to your supervisor and coordinate your medical care and appointments with Human Resources.

What insurance card do I use for an on-the-job injury?

Your Worker's Compensation Card should be used for all on-the-job injuries. If you lose or don't have your card, please contact Human Resources.

If I leave employment with the City, will I be paid for any unused sick or vacation time?

Sick time is not paid out at time of termination. Any unused vacation time will be paid out at time of termination.

Will I be paid for holidays?

All fixed holidays assigned by the City Council are paid days (please see the Holiday Schedule) as long as the day before and the day after are worked or excused.

Other commonly asked questions:

Where can I get more information?

More information regarding your benefits and associated forms may be obtained by visiting the City's internal WestPoint site and of course, Human Resources is always available to help in any situation.