The City of Westfield, Indiana

Westfield is a thriving community with a rich heritage

NEWS RELEASE: City of Westfield Breaks Ground on New Road

Date: October 5, 2020

Contact: Vicki Duncan Gardner

Email: vgardner@westfield.in.gov

Cell: 317.416.6612

      

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Westfield, IN – Today, Westfield Mayor Andy Cook joined city and business leaders to break ground on the East Street North Extension project. The new roadway alignment will improve connectivity and accessibility between 196th Street and State Road 38 and help enhance the safety of the State Road 38 corridor.

“The East Street Extension will not only improve connectivity and safety of the State Road 38 corridor, but it will also accommodate ongoing development around NorthPoint,” said Mayor Cook. “Infrastructure is a key discussion point we have when talking to prospective businesses. This particular road project has already helped land some big projects and will be an asset in the future”

The project provides for a new traffic signal at SR 38 and Anthony Road and will improve East Street as a north-south roadway through the NorthPoint industrial park. Along with the traffic signal, a portion of Grassy Branch Road near SR 38 will be realigned to further improve safety at the intersection.

“I would also like to thank the Indiana Department of Transportation and the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for their cooperation and support of this project,” continued Mayor Cook. “Their investment, similar to the US 31 project, will show a considerable return on investment in our state.”

The $7.2 million project is being funded by the City of Westfield covering 20% of the construction costs and the MPO paying the remaining 80%.  The new road is scheduled to be finished in late Fall of 2021, with intermediate completion dates throughout 2021 to accommodate ongoing developments in the area.  

    

###