The City of Westfield, Indiana

Westfield is a thriving community with a rich heritage

NEWS RELEASE: City of Westfield Opens New Road to Improve Connectivity

Date: November 10, 2020

Contact: Vicki Duncan Gardner

Email: vgardner@westfield.in.gov

Cell: 317.416.6612

      

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Westfield, IN – Today Mayor Andy Cook joined city and state leaders to open the new Westfield Boulevard. The road construction has been a collaborative project between the State of Indiana and the City of Westfield.

“This project is a great example of how all levels of government can work together for the community,” said Mayor Cook. “The new Westfield Boulevard will not only ease traffic through our downtown but it will open an entire area along US 31 for economic development.”

The new road runs .65 miles between 169th Street and Park Street and is projected to come in slightly under the original estimated cost of $4.8 million. A bridge is included because it crosses the Anna Kendall Legal Drain and two new animal crossings have been added under the roadway to comply with DNR requirements. The new Westfield Boulevard and Park Street is now a four-way stop intersection and the roundabout at Westfield Boulevard and State Road 32 now has a second through lane heading southbound. Additionally, what was previously known as Poplar Street from State Road 32 to Park Street has been renamed Westfield Boulevard.

This project has also added a new trail connection along 169th Street and north along Westfield Boulevard to give pedestrians direct access to Grand Junction Plaza and Park Street, as well as extensions to the Midland Trail from Mill Street to Westfield Boulevard and the Monon-Midland Loop along David Brown Drive from Union Street to US 31. The final piece of the trail connecting the west side of US 31 to the Monon Trail will be completed in the Spring of 2021.

The construction was a Federal Exchange project with the city paying 10% of construction costs and the state covering the remaining 90%. Future plans call for the road to extend further south and connect with Westfield Boulevard at 161st Street.

 

###